Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Beginning



I think that this project may have been the beginning and possibly the end of my career as an architect. The project itself is a lot of fun and many people have stamped it which their own imagery. It was my ex-husband who gave it the name "Origami Architecture" which stuck in my head. My colleague at work though it looked a lot like an organism with a head and a tail like a "Dragon." I, myself always thought of architecture as a phenomenon that is caught between heaven and earth. I left my firm after I designed this dormitory project which is sited at Middlebury College. I became a mother for a year and now I am a single working mother. I have been a landlord, an artist, an entrepreneur, but I hesitate to call myself an architect. That is because I am not yet licensed. I used the excuse that I am a mother first. But I think the real reason that I have never focused on becoming licensed is that I didn't find the typical professional architect to be a fun person. Usually they are so wrapped up in their work that they forget how to make themselves and their work accessible to the public.


So that is why I started this blog. I am not sure that I will always stick to the subject of architecture since I am interested in a lot of things and find it hard to make one subject matter the center of all my attention. But at the center of it all, I love art and design and I wish to bring to a level of the everyday where all people can enjoy it, not just the intellectuals.



No comments:

Post a Comment